[Dovecot] "virgin" mail accounts

David Sheryn David.Sheryn at ballooning.org.uk
Thu Jun 10 16:41:25 EEST 2004

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004, Christian Balzer wrote:

> Subject: [Dovecot] "virgin" mail accounts

[ ... ]

> It died not very graceful in either case, esp. the later.
>
> Unless there are very RFC'ish and imperative reasons, I'd suggest
> that dovecot creates all missing bits if possible no matter what the
> storage method or pretends to have encountered an empty mbox file or
> maildir cur/new respectively.
>
> The rationale should be obvious, no frantic user calls about "My mail is
> not working" when the answer is "Duh, that's because you never ever
> received one yet". ;)

Whilst I agree with you, I try, in such circumstances, to arrange for the
account creation system to send a "welcome" email so that there is already
a message waiting for the user when they first log in :)  I can then rely
on Exim to do all the hard work of creating the INBOX properly AND the
user gets a nice warm fuzzy feeling of having something there when they
first log in to play... :)

DHS
--
David Sheryn -- david at ballooning dot org dot uk