[Dovecot] folders via softlink

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Thu Jun 10 11:14:49 EEST 2004

On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 02:42:58AM +0200, Gunter Ohrner wrote:
> > > How about simply making a normal link instead? Untested by me, but I
> > > think it'd be worth a shot.
> > Hardlinking a directory is a very, VERY dangerous thing to do.
>
> Yes, but hardlinking a file is nothing unusual. You should not do it with your
> active lockfiles or postfix mailspool but for the spam collector file it
> could work, provided that it can be properly locked this way.

Sorry, that was me thinking "Maildir" again. I still can't believe that
people are still using mbox in production systems :-)

Hardlinking a file like this is clearly not going to work with dotlocks
(because the two dotlocks will be created in different directories!), but
then the same would have been true with symlinks. It will possibly work with
fcntl/flock.

Regards,

Brian.