[Dovecot] Supporting POP & IMAP with Sendmail

John Duino jduino at aerohead.com
Thu Jun 3 15:50:53 EEST 2004

Greetings!

I dug thru the archives but didn't see a clear answer to this. A client
has an existing sendmail/pop3 system, and I would like to switch to
dovecot for imap support. For imap I much prefer the Maildir format over
mbox, however, sendmail natively dumps to mbox (mailspool) and that is
what pop typically reads. I've read the threads on how to make sendmail
write to Maildir.

My problem is that I'd like to support both pop/mailspool and
imap/maildir.

While running dovecot in imap-only it will use mbox format to read the
/var/mail/user as the Inbox and then create the full imap structure
under ~user/mail but in mbox format, not maildir.

If/when I turn on both pop and imap in dovecot will it allow this with
the current config? Or will I still need to convert sendmail output to
maildir...and then I assume dovecot/pop will read from
~user/Maildir/Inbox even though it is in Maildir format?

Basically, if I'd prefer to not have to convert sendmail to Maildir
format, have dovecot always treat /var/mail/user as the Inbox for both
pop and imap, and for those who switch to imap, have it store their
other folders in ~user/Maildir. Asking too much?

Thanks!

John