[Dovecot] dovecot and virtual hosting

Joshua Goodall joshua at roughtrade.net
Thu Jun 3 04:42:00 EEST 2004

On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 07:44:41PM +0100, Brian Candler wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 08:06:14PM +0200, Vegard Svanberg wrote:
> > A usual hosting provider setup depends on having one IP ("virtual
> > mailserver") per domain.  Using dovecot on servers handling hundreds or
> > thousands of domains today equals to having multiple instances of
> > dovecot running.
> >
> > This problem could be solved by making dovecot take into account the IP
> > address the user connects to and authenticate against the proper
> > {database, table, pw-file, [...]} based on that.
> >
> > Comments?
>
> I've worked at very large ISPs, and we never did virtual hosting based on IP
> address; we simply made the logins unique.

Just because you don't use it, doesn't mean that others won't.  For example,
my employer manages thousands of virtual services distinguished by IP address
for which some of the protocols (e.g. SSL, anonymous FTP) are virtualized by
IP, and POP3 virtualization piggybacks on that just because it can.

We then support user at domain for those cases where the customer simply doesn't
want SSL or virtual anon FTP.

I think it's a good idea.  Do you have patches, Vegard?

Joshua.

--
Joshua Goodall                           "as modern as tomorrow afternoon"
joshua at roughtrade.net                                       - FW109