[Dovecot] Dovecot + SSL + Fedora

Benjamin J. Weiss benjamin at Weiss.name
Wed Jun 2 00:44:15 EEST 2004

On Mon, 24 May 2004, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> On 24.5.2004, at 10:43, David Keegel wrote:
>
> > I've been seeing the Dovecot/SSL/Fedora 1 problem.
> >
> > I have a dovecot server which tends to die at least once a day,
> > with messages like these :-
> > May 24 13:44:44 mail pop3-login: RAND_bytes() failed:
> > error:24064064:random number generator:SSLEAY_RAND_BYTES:PRNG not
> > seeded
> > May 24 13:44:44 mail dovecot: Login process died too early - shutting
> > down
> >
> > I noticed Timo's email about this at:
> > 	http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2004-May/003316.html
> > with the patch that just ignores the return code of RAND_bytes().
>
> That fixes the crashes, but probably still causes occational problems
> with SSL connection handshakes failing.

I require encrypted communications between my server and my client for all
services, including smtp and imap.  I was getting ready to upgrade my
server from RH9 and imap-2000 to fedora core 1 and dovecot until I saw
this thread.

Has anybody brought the ssl problem to the upstream maintainers so that it
can get fixed?

Thanks!

Ben