[Dovecot] mta/mda config

Rob Foehl rwf at loonybin.net
Thu Jun 3 21:41:53 EEST 2004

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004, Jure Pecar wrote:

> For large mailstore setups, it makes sense to split maildirs across many
> directories. I see that setting default_mail_env to something like
> maildir:/var/imap/domain/%1d/%d/%1u/user/%u/ would create almost identical
> on-disk layout as multidomain cyrus setup. Now, as dovecot does not have its
> own mda or lmtp daemon, how does one configure mta (eg. postfix) to deliver
> mail in such maildirs?

With Postfix, it's pretty straightforward; you have several options,
depending on how you actually want to do the deliveries.  Basically,
you'll most likely want to use the virtual(8) delivery agent, and supply
it with a mailbox map that returns the full mailbox path (be it mbox or
maildir).

This can be done with just about any of the available map types; I'll try
to provide a more concrete example if you provide more information on
exactly how you want the deliveries done, and what (if any)  other
components are involved (SQL database of users, etc)..

-Rob