[Dovecot] debian unstable : mutt polling imap mailboxes

Moe Wibble t1lt at bk.ru
Sat Feb 28 15:39:33 EET 2004

On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 07:19:10PM +0200, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-02-16 at 17:05, Kai Hendry wrote:
> > I am accessing my IMAP folder on my ~/Maildir using mutt via Dovecot and
> > I have this problem whereby mutt incorrectly reports I have new mail in a
> > "mailboxes" polled mailbox.
> >
> > This happens all the time when I press the key bound to change mailbox.
> >
> > I use courier IMAP at school, and I have not experienced this problem. A
> > bug with dovecot or mutt?
>
> It's most likely a Dovecot bug, possibly related to somewhat broken
> RECENT count handling. I can't reproduce it though, do you have to tell
> mutt somehow to check the new mails?

I am expiriencing this bug, too.

Using:
Dovecot 0.99.8
Mutt 1.5.5.1+cvs20040105i

It's a bit annoying.
Generally when any folder other than INBOX (e.g. INBOX.ml.dovecot) receives
new mail the mail-count for that folder will increase.
Then, when I switch to that folder, read the new mail and switch back to
INBOX the mail-counter will *still* show the (now invalid) count until I
switch back and forth again.

I'd be glad if some more testing with mutt would be done (to fix this bug
and the one that makes all folders appear as if they had subfolders...).
Other than these few glitches dovecot works like a charme with mutt and even
my largest folders (>6000 msgs) can be opened in reasonable time (under 30s).

Keep up the good work :-)

just my 2c..
-mw