[Dovecot] Mailbox formats

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Feb 25 19:43:31 EET 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-10 at 22:38, Kenneth Porter wrote:
> I'm currently using mbox and mbx with UW-IMAP, mbox for space efficiency
> and mbx for folders with lots of messages for time efficiency without a
> large space cost.

The reason why mbx takes more space is that it uses CR+LF linefeeds
instead of just LF..

> I've avoided maildir because it has a relatively high
> space cost; mbox has no inter-message cost while maildir wastes on average
> half a sector plus an inode for each message.

AFAIK ReiserFS doesn't lose any space (or much).

> What other formats are there, and has anyone come up with a good format
> that gives both good time and space characteristics without sacrificing
> reliability?
>
> (I'm aware of the file format list in the UW-IMAP distro:
> <http://www.washington.edu/imap/documentation/formats.txt.html>)

UW-IMAP's author is thinking of some hybrid format where a single
mailbox could be built from multiple files, but a single file could
contain multiple messages. I think this could be made to work pretty
well and reliably. I don't know more about his plans though, I didn't
find any discussion about it in c-client list at least.