[Dovecot] ":" in filenames

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Feb 24 15:43:55 EET 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-24 at 05:57, Lars Hansson wrote:
> dovecot seems to have an issue with :'s in pathnames:
> imap(test.user): Fatal: Failed to create storage with data: /home/
> hosted/example.com/users/test:user
>
> This causes a bit of a problem with vmailmgr since it, by default,
> replaces .'s in maildir path with :'s.
> I'm curious as to why :'s in paths are an issue? Do they have special
> meaning to dovecot?

Hmm.. They do. default_mail_env format is: "storage_format:data" and
both mbox and maildir in "data" part treat it as
"path:option:option2:..". So, Dovecot above thought
"/home/hosted/example.com/users/test" was the storage format and "user"
the data part for it. You could change default_mail_env = maildir:~/ but
then Dovecot would think "user" as being unknown option..

I'm not sure what to do about this.. ':' was selected because it's PATH
separator as well, so people rarely have directories containing ':' in
it's name. Maybe it could be escaped as "\:"..