[Dovecot] X-UID

Paul Adams lists at pote.com
Wed Feb 11 17:37:28 EET 2004

What is the function of the X-UID header in mbox format?

Mozilla Thunderbird 0.5 seems to regard it as a simple numbering of the
messages; i.e., that the first message in the mbox should have X-UID: 1.

Dovecot seems to treat it simply as an ordered unique identifier. Thus,
the first message in my actual mbox has X-UID: 3849658. (There are only
a few dozen messages in the box.)

Running Thunderbird 0.5 against a Dovecot IMAP server with mbox format,
Thunderbird displays these UID numbers in the message list, which is
fairly useless -- I want a numbered list of my messages starting at 1
(which Pine, for example, is happy to provide).

I'm just wondering whether this is Dovecot's fault, Thunderbird's fault,
or an ambiguity in the mbox standard.

thanks,
	Paul