[Dovecot] Dovecot on FreeBSD 4.9 - "Invalid Password Field"

Jamie Heckford jamie at tridentmicrosystems.co.uk
Tue Feb 10 20:10:25 EET 2004

Hi,

I am attempting to get dovecot up and running on FreeBSD 4.9..... Tried
with the default config file and my own one (below) but when trying to
login I get the following:

Feb 10 17:59:53 cobain dovecot-auth: passwd(jamie): invalid password
field '*'

It seems like it is trying to read straight from /etc/passwd? I thought
it called getpw().

Is this a common error and could anyone shed some light on how to fix
it?

Thanks :)

Jamie

-- dovecot.conf

## Dovecot 1.0 configuration file
base_dir = /var/dovecot/
protocols = imap
imap_listen = 192.168.120.7
login_dir = /var/dovecot/login
login_chroot = yes
ssl_disable = yes

## IMAP login process

login = imap
login_executable = /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
login_user = dovecot
login_process_size = 16

##
## Mail processes
##

# Maximum number of running mail processes. When this limit is reached,
# new users aren't allowed to log in.
max_mail_processes = 300
verbose_proctitle = yes
first_valid_uid = 5000
last_valid_uid = 8000
first_valid_gid = 5000
last_valid_gid = 5100
default_mail_env = maildir:/u/home/%u
client_workarounds = oe6-fetch-no-newmail outlook-idle
mail_save_crlf = yes
maildir_copy_with_hardlinks = yes
mbox_locks = fcntl

## IMAP process

imap_executable = /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap
imap_process_size = 256

## Authentication processes

auth = default
auth_mechanisms = plain