[Dovecot] Authentication difficulties

Keith Edmunds keith at midnighthax.com
Thu Dec 30 11:31:55 EET 2004

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 19:53:04 +0200
Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:

> There are constantly pretty basic questions in this list (and in my
> inbox) about how to get user authentication work correctly. This means
> that the documentation how it all works is either bad, or people don't
> find it easily. Any ideas how to improve it?

Or some people are just lazy. People often take the path of least
resistance. I'd think long and hard before bothering the author of software
with basic questions (or any at all, come to that). Over the past couple of
years I've noticed a big increase in the "lazy culture" in the OS software
arena in which people do little if any work to try to find the answers to
their questions (other than ask others).

My suggestion would be to refer all such questions here to the existing
documentation (you've done an excellent job on the Wiki; let's not waste
it). You could even say that if people believe that the Wiki could be
improved then they should improve it or report the deficiency here if they
are unable to improve it. A boilerplate reply to such questions will be
quicker for you, could result in deficiencies in the Wiki being fixed, and
who knows, it may even get the message across the minority who expect free
(beer) software and free consultancy from the author.

Hmm, sounding aggressive there! Happy new year to all.

Keith