[Dovecot] Maildir owner importance

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Dec 29 19:58:33 EET 2004

On 29.12.2004, at 19:23, Roi Efrati wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 19:06:15 +0200, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
>
>> I don't think there's anything else than doc/dovecot-mysql.conf, but
>> it
>> should be pretty helpful.
>>
> Please forgive me for asking this but WHERE the XXXX can I find this
> file ?

How did you install Dovecot? It comes at least with sources. If you
installed from binary package, it might be in /usr/share/doc/dovecot/,
or maybe not.

>> Maildir files are simple one message per file. It doesn't really
>> matter
>> what the files are named. Just put them into new/ or cur/ directory
>> and
>> Dovecot should see them. If you don't have real email files, that's
>> fine too. Just write something in the file.
>
> I have made a file named test with some test in it and put it both at
> the new and cur directories. But Outlook don't seem to pick it up ?

If the file in new/ isn't moved into cur/ after logging in, Dovecot is
looking into wrong directory for the mails. If your userdb had
home=/var/local/virtualdir/%d/%u, then you should have either:

default_mail_env=maildir:%h
and new mails should be delivered to
/var/local/virtualdir/domain.com/user/new/

or

default_mail_env=maildir:%h/Maildir
and new mails should be delivered to
/var/local/virtualdir/domain.com/user/Maildir/new/