[Dovecot] Purging /var/mail/username ?

Johannes Berg johannes at sipsolutions.net
Thu Dec 23 16:39:17 EET 2004

Michael Hipp schrieb:

> Dovecot is delivering mail to my ~/.mail directory wonderfully. But
> /var/mail/michael is growing steadily.

Something must be delivering there. I'm sure dovecot is not delivering
any mail, so it can't be delivering to ~/.mail :)
Maybe you need to configure your MTA (exim,postfix,sendmail,....) to
deliver to ~/.mail?

> Is it the job of Dovecot to purge this file regularly? Is there a
> setting somewhere for this?

No. You can, however, make dovecot read /var/mail/michael as INBOX and
put the other folders in ~/.mail, but personally I recommend against
this and suggest changing the delivery agent (MTA, see above; or maybe
maildrop, procmail, ...) to deliver to ~/.mail instead.

johannes