[Dovecot] Need subfolders - convert to Maildir & how?

Rory Campbell-Lange rory at campbell-lange.net
Wed Dec 22 00:17:36 EET 2004

Hi Michael

On 21/12/04, Michael Hipp (Michael at Hipp.com) wrote:
> I just installed Dovecot and it is working great.
>
> But I need subfolders. Does this mean I need to convert to Maildir
> format? I found several tools to do the conversion, but is there
> anything that needs to be changed in Dovecot to make the switch?

Have you had a look at the conf file?

In the current Debian testing version of Dovecot you will see:

# Default MAIL environment to use when it's not set. By leaving this
# empty
# dovecot tries to do some automatic detection as described in
# /usr/share/doc/dovecot-common/mail-storages.txt. There's a few special
# variables you can use:
#
#   %u - username
#   %n - user part in user at domain, same as %u if there's no domain
#   %d - domain part in user at domain, empty if user there's no domain
#   %h - home directory
#
# You can also limit a width of string by giving the number of max.
# characters
# after the '%' character. For example %1u gives the first character of
# username. Some examples:
#
#   default_mail_env = maildir:/var/mail/%1u/%u/Maildir
#   default_mail_env = mbox:~/mail/:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
#   default_mail_env = mbox:/var/mail/%d/%n/:INDEX=/var/indexes/%d/%n

Read "Detecting what to use" in the mail-storages document. Dovecot
checks to see if Maildir format is used and then falls back on mbox
storage.

Have you checked your MTA (exim/postfix...) is delivering into maildir
format?

Rory
--
Rory Campbell-Lange