[Dovecot] Cannot access a file with Mulberry from a dovecot server if the mail does not end with a newline character.

Sven Kirmess dovecot at kzone.ch
Sun Dec 19 14:19:02 EET 2004

I use Mulberry 3.1.6 on Windows to read my mails with dovecot 0.99.12
Solaris 9. There are some mail which I cannot read. When I try to open
such a mail, dovecot quits and restarts (I can see that with ps,
nothing is logged). The Mulberry log just looks like this:

| --> #7.2300 Sun Dec 19 12:59:33 2004
| A00009 FETCH 695 (BODY.PEEK[1])
| * 695 FETCH (BODY[1] {61}
|
| --> #7.2300 Sun Dec 19 12:59:33 2004
| * OK dovecot ready.
|
| --> #7.2300 Sun Dec 19 12:59:33 2004
| A00001 CAPABILITY
| * CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 SORT THREAD=REFERENCES MULTIAPPEND UNSELECT LITERAL+ IDLE CHILDREN LISTEXT LIST-SUBSCRIBED NAMESPACE AUTH=PLAIN
| A00001 OK Capability completed

Looks like it just restarts the connection. The interesting thing is,
that I can access the file with Netscape 4.8 via dovecot.

The problem is the following: I copied the file in the Maildir
directory, opened the copied file with vi and saved it.
Now, I run a diff:

| $ diff orig:2,S copy:2,S
| Warning: missing newline at end of file orig:2,S
| 12c12
| < <http://forums.mtgnews.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=35559>
| ---
| > <http://forums.mtgnews.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=35559>

As you can see, vi adds the newline on the last line automatically if
you save the file. Now, Mulberry/dovecot is able to read this file.
I'm not sure if this is a dovecot or Mulberry problem.

btw: This problematic mail was created with Mulberry 3.1.6. ;-)

Sven