[Dovecot] RE: Internal login failure

Jaeson Schultz jaeson at jaeson.net
Mon Dec 13 21:59:52 EET 2004

Hello,

I should have sent my first message in plain text instead of HTML so it
would show up better in the list archives.  Anyhow, I am using the latest
release of Dovecot, v0.99.12.1.  Seeing as how I don't need the cyrus-sasl2
to be compiled in, I have just rebuilt dovecot without it.  Unfortunately I
am still getting the same results...

  [jaeson at shell01 ~]$ telnet co-nundrum imap
  Trying 207.7.137.6...
  Connected to co-nundrum.
  Escape character is '^]'.
  * OK dovecot ready.
  1 LOGIN jaeson secret
  1 OK Logged in.
  * BYE Internal login failure. Error report written to server log.
  Connection closed by foreign host.

The dovecot logs still indicate an "Internal login failure", but offers no
extra explanation as to why.

  dovecot-auth: Dec 13 11:43:04 Info: PGSQL: Performing query: SELECT
password FROM user_accounts WHERE username='jaeson'
  imap-login: Dec 13 11:43:04 Info: Internal login failure: jaeson
[216.39.112.19]
  dovecot: Dec 13 11:43:04 Error: child 25784 (auth) killed with signal 11

I am wondering that since I see the auth_passdb query, shouldn't I also be
seeing a log entry for the auth_userdb query as well, or does this happen
once the imap process is started?  Any advice for how to track down the
source of the problem is appreciated.

~Jaeson

[This E-mail scanned for viruses]