[Dovecot] Corrupted index files in 0.99.12.1

Brady Wetherington brady at netservnyc.com
Sat Dec 11 21:13:16 EET 2004

Hi - I've got two copies of Dovecot installed on my server (don't worry,
talking to two different sockets for authentication, with two different
sets of filenames using options in configure), and I found at least one
instance where the index file for my INBOX (on my own account, in fact)
got corrupted. So badly so that when I connected via IMAP and selected
my INBOX, it said there were no messages there - but if I logged in via
sqWebMail (ugh), it said all my messages were there. Note that it didn't
give the 'NO can't use index file' message. I moved the .INBOX directory
to another filename, and then re-logged in and found that all was well
(it regenerated the index files correctly).

Would my old, corrupted index files be of any use to anyone? I still
have that directory sitting somewhere. Is it perhaps 'bad' to run two
copies of Dovecot? I don't know exactly what I was doing, but I can
easily imagine accessing one of my Dovecots using my webmail setup, and
one using straight IMAP - is that an unsupported setup?

I'd also be happy to discuss why I'm using two copies of Dovecot, but
that's a whole other discussion :)