[Dovecot] PostgreSQL user database

Marco Herrn marco at mherrn.de
Fri Dec 10 01:39:58 EET 2004

On Fri, Dec 10, 2004 at 01:13:44AM +0200, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> Well, view isn't exactly required as you can just write the same SQL
> command into pass_query directly.

I have to admit that this didn't came to my mind. Of course this way I
achieve the same without views...

> But why would you want to avoid views? They seem perfectly good
> solution to me. And if views aren't enough, you could write PostgreSQL
> function to return the wanted fields.

The database is used for several other tools and purposes and I don't
want to 'pollute' it with views or function that are only used by one
tool. It wouldn't be a big deal, but it seems to me a less optimal
solution. Of course, by specifying to full query I would use as the
view, I don't have to touch the database and everything is fine. :-)

But I came to another problem when doing this. Is it the case that
dovecot expects uids and gids always as numbers? I only store the
human readable names of them, but dovecot complains with:

  Error: Logins with UID 0 not permitted

Or is this a different error, maybe on my configuration side?

Regards
Marco

--
Exercise your freedom of religion.
Set fire to a church of your choice.
(GnuPG/PGP-encrypted mail preferred)       _;\ _.\ _.';;) ;,;_/;
Key ID: 0x94620736                  _  _'./_\('))_; );/\)}/`fsc