[Dovecot] Timeouts with outlook express

Daniel bart at istnet.net.au
Thu Dec 9 09:22:21 EET 2004

Hi

I am using Dovecot 0.99.12.1 (just upgraded) on a site with about 1500
mailboxes. One thing I have noticed is when the client outlook express
is receiving a large mail via pop3 it gets a time out. There is traffic.
If you click on the "wait" button in the dialogue the mail continues to
download.

This seem to relate to the "Server Timeouts" setting under mail account
Properties/advance. If this setting is set higher the dialogue come only
after this time has passed.

If the mail take a long time to download if say is very big the user may
have to click "Wait" a number of time even if the time  out setting is
set to the largest amount.

It funny because the mail is downloading, So the pop3 server has not
stopped responding as outlook express say it has. Strange.

What is happening here? and is there a work around for it. Do I have a
setting wrong.

Regards
Daniel ROwe