[Dovecot] "correct" permissions for login dir

Kirill Miazine km at krot.org
Tue Dec 7 23:03:24 EET 2004

I'm in process of moving away from Cyrus to Dovecot. I have my own
authentication daemon working fine. It sets up two sockets:

drwxr-x---  2 root  dovecot   512 Dec  7 21:07 /var/state/dovecot/login
srw-rw-rw-  1 krot  krot        0 Dec  7 21:07 /var/state/dovecot/login/sock
drwx------  2 krot  wheel     512 Dec  7 21:07 /var/state/dovecot/master
srw-rw-rw-  1 krot  wheel       0 Dec  7 21:07 /var/state/dovecot/master/sock

When I fire up Dovecot, it warns me of "incorrect" permissons for login
dir (/var/state/dovecot/login) and "fixes" the problem. I want
/var/state/dovecot/login to be owned by user krot (which the main
daemon is running as), not by root.

I suggest that login directory is not touched if external authentication
is used. Socket are not wiped out, why should permissions be fixed? (see
in master/master-settings.c around line 560).

I'm afraid that some day I will forget to make this tiny change to
Dovecot and end up with a mail system which does not work at all,
because the master daemon won't be able to create dovecot/login socket.

1.0-test "works pretty well". Does it mean well enough to replace Cyrus
(which indeed works pretty well)? I have maildir-based folders. Most
users have no idea what IMAP is (my sister uses IMAP because I set it
up, others just say that they don't need IMAP...) and they just download
everything using POP3. Sometimes they use SquirrelMail. Default usage
pattern. Are the risks high? Currently I have test56 on my test
installation (which is almost ready to take over).

Timo, Dovecot has been a pleasure to work with so far!

--
They make a desert and call it peace.
                -- Tacitus