[Dovecot] imaps, certificate and authentification

jean-Noël Chardron Jean-Noel.Chardron at dr15.cnrs.fr
Mon Dec 6 18:41:54 EET 2004

hello,

first sorry for my poor english

I'm doing the migration from UW-imap to Dovecot
I have two question about the authentification in the imaps (port 993)
process

In dovecot .conf I can enable (or disable) the différent port (pop,
pops, imap, imaps) and may be restrict the access to the serveur with
the ip adresse.
Can I configure dovecot in imaps so it permit the access if the
certificate is knowing by the server?
Actually, this is the process to authenticate in WU-imap on imaps : the
client connect to the server through a tunnel SSL (stunnel) and only if
stunnel know the certificate, then the client can connect.

and more, Is it possible when the client (with a certificate) connect to
the serveur with imaps to authenticate the user without prompting the
password, so the authentication is throught the certificate ?

These are similar  functionnality in the apache server  with the
restriction access to location et authentification with certificate.

thanks

--
Jean-Noel