[Dovecot] IMAP - many folders?

Reuben Farrelly reuben-dovecot at reub.net
Sun Dec 5 10:11:07 EET 2004

Yes - every folder that I then go into after wiping the indexes, requires a
full resync between client (Eudora) and dovecot of the headers (not
downloading the message bodies).  The hard drive on server works pretty
hard for a while to resync up especially if there are a fair few messages,
but after that initial performance hit the performance is good.  Obviously
it only reindexes the folders as they are opened.

It could just be a slow client, but I doubt it given the level of hard
drive activity that goes on on the server.  At a guess, it would be
re-indexing perhaps, 30 mails/second, and it takes a while with 3000
messages in a (trash) folder.  I hate to think how long it would take with
100 clients all resyncing at the same time after an index wipe or migration
from an existing system to a new dovecot installation...

reuben