[Dovecot] 1.0-test CVS HEAD index problems

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Dec 3 05:37:18 EET 2004

On 1.12.2004, at 23:14, Jim Lawson wrote:

> dovecot: Dec 01 13:41:07 Error: IMAP(jtl): UIDVALIDITY changed
> (1100294646 -> 110192643
> 5) in mbox file /var/spool/mail/j/t/jtl
> dovecot: Dec 01 13:41:07 Error: IMAP(jtl): UIDVALIDITY changed
> (1100294646 -> 110192643
> 5) in mbox file /var/spool/mail/j/t/jtl
..

If these were all done by same session it's a Dovecot problem because
it doesn't notice that index is supposed to be rebuilt. I fixed this
now in CVS.

> dovecot: Dec 01 13:47:24 Error: IMAP(jtl): file mbox-lock.c: line 493
> (mbox_lock): asse
> rtion failed: (lock_type == F_RDLCK || ibox->mbox_lock_type != F_RDLCK)

There are at least two ways to make this happen. One is copying a mail
into same mailbox, and the second one is something I haven't yet
figured out. I don't see it happening often though.

> dovecot: Dec 01 13:50:49 Error: IMAP(jtl): UIDVALIDITY changed
> (1101926435 -> 110192703
> 6) in mbox file /var/spool/mail/j/t/jtl

A bit strange that it keeps on doing that even with new sessions.
Shouldn't happen unless for some reason it's not updating index files
at all (or if reading doesn't notice the changes).

> Using Thunderbird-0.9.  Dovecot is running on RHEL 3, on top of
> Redhat/Sistina GFS (clustered filesystem.)  Currently I'm keeping it
> on one node to avoid possible GFS locking issues.  I'm running with
> mmap_disabled=yes, mbox format.   Most of the 1.0-test builds I have
> done eventually corrupt their index files, and show strange behavior
> (click on a message in the folder view, and an entirely different
> message opens... delete three or four messages and expunge, the
> messages instantly reappear as unseen.).  I typically wipe the .imap
> directories between different builds of Dovecot.

Have you tried moving indexes to local disk to see if it works better?
I haven't seen much problems anymore with indexes even with
mmap_disable=yes. There still are some bugs but I don't think anything
should break in normal use.