[Dovecot] Maildir/mbox on a per-user basis

Jim Tittsler jt at OnJapan.net
Thu Dec 2 01:46:04 EET 2004

On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 01:44:38PM -0600, J Moore wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 02:41:02PM -0500, the unit calling itself Jon Nathan wrote:
>
> <re-structured for clarity>
>
> > > Just out of curiosity, why would you want to use both formats for
> > > storage?
> >
> > Some of the users have personal preferences.  We default to mbox,
> > but some people would rather use Maildir.  They take care of delivery
>
> Isn't maildir format required to support imap clients?

No.

I think the mbox format is particularly well suited for
(mailing list) archives which are kept around in read-
mostly form.  They may also be a better fit for some
legacy mail clients that read mail directly on the
server.