[Dovecot] 1.0-test CVS HEAD index problems

Jim Lawson jtl+dovecot at uvm.edu
Thu Dec 2 00:00:06 EET 2004

Tomi Hakala wrote:

> Jim Lawson wrote:
>
>> Using Thunderbird-0.9.  Dovecot is running on RHEL 3, on top of
>> Redhat/Sistina GFS (clustered filesystem.)  Currently I'm keeping it
>> on one node to avoid possible GFS locking issues.
>
> Your error messages are file system locking problems in any case,
> what locking method are you using?

All of them appear locking-related, or just the assertion failure?

> For me following locking config works fine with Polyserve clustered
> file system, don't know about GFS though..
>
> lock_method = flock
> mbox_read_locks = flock
> mbox_write_locks = flock

Same configuration here.  We use flock with UW IMAPd (no dotlocks) and
procmail, and it seems to work fine.  We could use fcntl, but it has
more overhead.
Glad to meet someone using Polyserve.  Can you tell me more about your
cluster?  Is it just for mail access?  How many nodes? How many users?

> A small tip, put your indexes on separate LUN and preferably on
> seperate disks than your mail spool, and since indexes are written
> heavily non parity RAID like 1 or 10 is much better than RAID-5.

All the mail is stored on RAID-10, mailboxes and indexes.  Splitting up
the spindles might help somewhat, but having them together shouldn't
cause problems like this, right?

Jim