[Dovecot] starting/stopping Dovecot

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Aug 31 13:53:50 EEST 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 11:32 +0100, Simon Waters wrote:
> I'm curious are there any main stream IMAP/POP3 servers not using the "process
> per user" or "thread per user" model? As I wrote a proof of concept server
> using Java NBIO, for another application once, the idea being to implement a
> "staged event driven" architecture - but alas it didn't attract much
> interest. As this would presumably be the smart way to handle high load if
> context switching became the bottleneck.

Dovecot is going a bit towards making it possible. All network I/O is
now nonblocking. Blocking disk reads and waiting for locks are the next
problems. Maybe the mail store APIs could be made fully nonblocking and
after that it should be pretty easy to make a couple of processes handle
all connections.