[Dovecot] (straced) FreeBSD - dovecot: We couldn't drop root group privileges

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Aug 24 19:21:06 EEST 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-24 at 19:52 +0400, Igor B. Bykhalo wrote:
> > 8103  getsockname(9, {sa_family=AF_UNIX, path="/var/run/dovecot/login/def0ыїїф     "}, [28]) = 0
>                                                                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Oops!                                                                   What's this?

I wondered about the same thing some time ago. I'm not really sure why
it looks like that. Maybe I should look into it.

Anyway, the fix for your problem is to not use wheel group as the
primary group for your user in /etc/passwd, rather move the user to
wheel group in /etc/group and use some other primary group.

There should have been different error message for this, but I'm not
sure why it doesn't work. I should look into that too :)

Also setting first_valid_gid=0 should work around this, but that doesn't
currently work either.