[Dovecot] Speed and memory probs writing large Maildir

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri May 30 05:12:59 EEST 2003

On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 08:18, Robin Whittle wrote:

> When writing 2000 x 1k messages, it is totally different.  Here are some
> times for writing from a Netscape 4.77 local mailbox to Dovecot and to
> Courier IMAP.

Want to try this with 0.99.10-test11? :) It now keeps the index file
opened for 10 seconds before really closing it, that should help with
the speed quite a lot. I just tested copying 4000 messages myself, I
didn't notice any actual increase in speed, but CPU usage dropped from a
few percent to 0.4%.

It still does a few unnecessary things every time mailbox is opened (ie.
at every APPEND command). I think I shouldn't try to mkdir() the cur,
new and tmp dirs immediately. Those could be more easily created if/when
stat() fails while syncing.