[Dovecot] possible dovecot problem (fwd)

Mark E. Mallett mem at mv.mv.com
Thu May 22 19:06:25 EEST 2003

On Fri, May 23, 2003 at 12:12:00AM +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-05-22 at 18:24, Mark E. Mallett wrote:
> > I'm just forwarding this verbatim from somebody who works here.
> > Comments ?
>
> I can't reproduce this. I tested with the headers in your mail and it
> gave correct result. I also compared Dovecot's and uw-imap's output for
> mailbox with 4600 mails, and output was pretty much the same.
>
> Maybe Dovecot is parsing the headers wrong in some conditions. Can you
> reproduce this in some way? The invalid envelope headers are probably
> cached in index file, deleting that should probably fix this for at
> least the old messages?

I was able to reproduce it without any effort.

First let me ask the obvious thing.. when you filed the sample message
from my original note, did you spot the fact that the "Subject" line
was split into two lines?  You have to recombine the two lines into
one.  (Sorry about that).  Also, remove the "> " characters and,
I guess, save the "From " line at the beginning (although I just
tested it and it doesn't matter if it's there or not).

Here's what I did to reproduce it:

On the target system:

  % rm -rf Maildir
  % maildirmake Maildir
  % cp bad.tmp Maildir/cur/0000.1111.2222.bad

"bad.tmp" is a copy of that message that I forwarded, starting with the
"From" line, or with the first Received line, doesn't matter.  Body of
the message doesn't matter either; I kept all the RFC stuff as the
body.

Now from the source system (and here is a cut and paste of what I just
did, except that I changed the username/password):

  % telnet target-system imap
  Connected to target-system
  Escape character is '^]'.
  * OK dovecot ready.
  1 login user password
  1 OK Logged in.
  2 select "INBOX"
  * FLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Draft)
  * OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Draft \*)] Flags permitted.
  * 1 EXISTS
  * 0 RECENT
  * OK [UNSEEN 1] First unseen.
  * OK [UIDVALIDITY 1053640171] UIDs valid
  * OK [UIDNEXT 2] Predicted next UID
  2 OK [READ-WRITE] Select completed.
  3 fetch 1 ENVELOPE
  * 1 FETCH (ENVELOPE ("Tue, 20 May 2003 16:05:04 -0500" "From A Friend: 'TheWMURCh
  annel.com  - News - Law Raises Age Children Must Be In Seat Restraints'" (("Janet
  " NIL "jaentc" "aukware.com")) (("Janet" NIL "jaentc" "aukware.com")) (("Janet" N
  IL "jaentc" "aukware.com")) NIL NIL NIL NIL "<200305202105.h4KL5xo20860 at qbert.ibs
  ys.com>"))
  3 OK Fetch completed.
  4 logout
  * BYE Logging out
  4 OK Logout completed.
  Connection closed by foreign host.

This seems to exactly duplicate the report..

Note: the FETCH response above is wrapped.

Is there something I have got set wrong?

mm