[dovecot] Unable to Log in on FreeBSD server?

Mark mw at lanfear.com
Fri Jan 17 07:56:57 EET 2003

Hello!

I recently compiled dovecot 0.99.7 on a FreeBSD 4.3 server, and have
been having problems with logging in and password authentication.

a. I can't seem to get it to compile MD5 support -- it only seems to
support plain, plain-file, and pam.

b. Whenever I try to log in, I always get something along the following
lines in /var/log/messages ....

Jan 16 17:52:15 akira imap-login: close(master) failed: Bad file
descriptor
Jan 16 17:55:33 akira imap-auth: Userinfo pam doesn't support DIGEST-MD5
method
Jan 16 18:08:28 akira imap-master: Login process died too early -
shutting down

(I also included one about MD5 in there too! :-))

Basically, the imap-login process is dying every time I try to do a
login from a remote machine (I've tried Evolution and Outlook Express
....)  I've tried telling it to use port 143 and port 993 (where it
correctly generates a warning about a certificate that it can't verify,
since i created that certificate with mkcert.sh )

Is there something I haven't configured correctly? The only things I've
changed in dovecot.conf are:

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Marc.