[dovecot] Re: dovecot and pop3

Paul C. Bryan email at pbryan.net
Wed Nov 27 01:22:41 EET 2002

Timo Sirainen wrote:

> Why? Smaller chance of screwups if they don't have compatible file
> locking, or making authentication configuration easier? I don't think
> either is much of a problem though.

It makes sense to leave authentication, authorization, mailbox handling
to one reliable program. Hopefully, that can be the IMAP daemon.

A POP3 gateway would need only pass along the user's credentials to the
IMAP server, and have no concern about mailbox format or locations, and
not worry about file locking or implementing any concurrency mechanisms.

Thoughts?

Paul C. Bryan
email at pbryan.net