[Dovecot-news] Released Pigeonhole v0.3.1 for Dovecot v2.1.6

Stephan Bosch stephan at rename-it.nl
Sat May 26 01:12:35 EEST 2012

Hello Dovecot users,

It's been a few months since the last Pigeonhole release. The main
reason is that I've introduced a few big new features. Although the new
features themselves probably haven't seen much testing so far, I'm now
pretty confident that existing configurations are not broken by these
changes.

The biggest change is the addition of dict support for Sieve script
retrieval. It now possible to fetch Sieve scripts from an SQL database
using the Dovecot dict facility. Read the INSTALL file and the
referenced additional documentation for more information. Note that this
feature currently is not usable with sieve_before/sieve_after and
ManageSieve.

Additionally, it is now possible to specify multiple sieve_before and
sieve_after scripts. This for instance enables administrators to specify
both global and user-specific scripts that are to be executed before and
after the user's personal script. User-specific scripts
configured in sieve_before and sieve_after can not be seen or changed
through the ManageSieve protocol.

Finally, as promised a while back, I've incorporated the
vnd.dovecot.duplicate extension into the main Pigeonhole package. Using
this Dovecot-specific extension it is possible to detect duplicate
deliveries (such as for example caused by mailing list subscriptions).
The detection is based on the message ID and uses the same database file
(~/.dovecot.lda-dupes) as the vacation extension.

Since the changes introduced in the release are rather large, I strongly
advise you to experiment with it a bit before deployment.

Changelog v0.3.1:

  * Added support for retrieving Sieve scripts from dict lookup. This
    means that Sieve scripts can now be downloaded from a database.
    Compiled script binaries are still put on disk somewhere if used.
    The INSTALL documentation is updated with information on this new
    feature and the (backwards-compatible) changes to the configuration.
    Note that his feature is currently not supported for
    sieve_before/sieve_after or script management through ManageSieve.
  + Incorporated the sieve_duplicate plugin into main Pigeonhole tree as
    a normal extension (vnd.dovecot.duplicate). This Dovecot-specific
    extension adds the ability to check for duplicate deliveries based
    on message ID. Specification can be found in:
    doc/rfc/spec-bosch-sieve-duplicate.txt
  + Added support for specifying multiple sieve_before and sieve_after
    paths. This adds much more flexibility to the multiscript
    configuration. One application is to have user-specific Sieve
    scripts outside the user's normal control through ManageSieve.
  + Added a "session ID" string for managesieve connections, available in
    %{session} variable (analogous to Dovecot change).
  - Fixed several small issues, including a few potential segfault bugs,
    based on static source code analysis.
  - ManageSieve: changed use of EPROTO error to EIO in ManageSieve
    string stream implementation because it is apparently not known in
    BSD.
  - Gave stamp.h.in (needed for autotools) some content to prevent it
    from disappearing in patch files.
  - Fixed bug that caused a SunStudio CC compile failure (reported by
    Piotr Tarnowski).

The release is available as follows:

http://www.rename-it.nl/dovecot/2.1/dovecot-2.1-pigeonhole-0.3.1.tar.gz
http://www.rename-it.nl/dovecot/2.1/dovecot-2.1-pigeonhole-0.3.1.tar.gz.sig

Refer to http://pigeonhole.dovecot.org and the Dovecot v2.x wiki for
more information. Have fun testing this new release and don't hesitate
to notify me when there are any problems.

Regards,

--
Stephan Bosch
stephan at rename-it.nl